
I was at NUS arts canteen having my yummy lunch - the very very famous Arts
Yong Tau Foo, which I eat everday for lunch... The longest I ever queued was 45min!!! Its not the nicest in SG of cos... but the nicest is NUS... You want nicer one? Go to... The one at
Ang Mo Kio Hawker... What it lacks is variety, but the sweet sauce is damn nice! Was eating halfway when I heard a loud *bamm Piang BoooooM*.
And this is what we saw...

The Crane at the construction site (For the new NUS Guild House) opposite the canteen collapsed! The red and white ting lying on the floor is the crane! Hope no one is hurt as theres a bus stop nearby and is usually very crowded during the lunch hour... Is it cos of overloading? Fatigue loading? Or just simply human error? Whatever it is... according to my Engineering Professionalism module... some Engineer who sign some paper for the project sure have to carry the responsibility... fines... jail...suspension of license... whatever... No wonder my prof told us that when we become professional engineers next time, dun ever anyhow sign papers... less responsibility, less problems... tsk tsk...
Soon the fire engine arrive... and news 93.8 reporters arrive...
LATEST! from 938LIVE
| Three workers killed by toppled crane at NUS worksite | |
|
|
| Three workers were killed when a 72-tonne crane toppled at a construction site near the National University of Singapore's Arts Faculty canteen in Kent Ridge Drive, crushing and pinning two of them underneath. Two other workers escaped with minor injuries and were sent to the nearby National University Hospital. The incident happened at about 2.10 pm today, watched by dozens of shocked NUS students who were having lunch in the canteen. First year NUS Business Student Toh Cheng Yi was in the vicinity when the tragedy occured. "I was in the computer lab. All of a sudden, I heard a loud crash to the ground. At the same time, I felt some tremors too. I came out of the lab and saw the crane lying on the ground. The workers they were shocked too. They gathered around the fallen crane. " The falling crane narrowly missed the nearby NUS Business School. Eyewitnesses said the 60-metre crane fell onto the three workers, pinning two of them beneath, on the site where a new five-storey club house for NUS alumnus is being built. The site is the size of two football fields. Rescuers from the Singapore Civil Defence Force, who received the call at about 2.15 pm, took 45 minutes to extricate the two trapped workers - a Malay man, aged 47, and a 42 year old Indian man. They had to use hydraulic spreaders and airbags to reach the two workers. The third victim was a Chinese man aged 45. Paramedics pronounced the three dead when they arrived. SCDF described the operation to reach the two trapped workers as 'delicate' as the rescuers had to work through a mess of reinforced steels bars to get to them. The cause of the accident is unknown. One construction worker said the crane was inspected just a few days ago. And the crane was supposed to have been dismantled in a few days time as it was no longer needed. Police are investigating accident. |
4 comments:
Gosh.. I was at biz school till 1.45pm. den headed to Comcen bus stop..
didn't hear any loud boom from there at the timing of the collapse though
the collapse was arnd 2pm... i guess u missed it by just a lil bit... not a nice sight to watch ppl getting pin... :|
Hi, I'm an NUS student reporter covering this for my assignment. I was wondering if you could help me for the eye witness account?
It would really help me for my article :)
My e-mail is u0500809@nus.edu.sg.
Any help given would be highly appreciated.
hi, i dunno if my eye witness account will be valid, as I did not witness the falling of the crane, but the aftermath. But if theres anything i can assist u, do let me know.
Post a Comment