Sunday, April 13, 2008

Almond, Walnut, Macadamia Butter


A few months back then, if you still remember this article, nutty me bought too many nuts... and 6 months later... I'm still surrounded by lots of nuts. So nutty me decided to make my own nut butter today! A few simple steps to make your own nut butter...

Here's my Dummy Guide to Nut Butter making...

Step 1: Dump all the nuts inside the blender

Step 2: Blend at low speed, then high speed, then add in 1 tbs of olive oil and sprinkle some salt

Step 3: Continue blending at high speed, stop and check for texture. It is done when it is buttery and sticky.

Step 4: Scoop all the contents into a nice container, and let it set.
( the oil from the nuts will start leaking out )

Step 5: Endorse your own nut butter, mine is "Almond, Walnut, Macadamia Butter"

Step 6: To be spre
ad with toast for tomorrow's breakfast!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

expensive nuts!

i wonder how the blend tastes like?

really hearthealthy~ (:

FoodieGymmie said...

normal peanut butter taste better... :|

and mine is a tat too salty, added too much salt...

Food Lover said...

but it looks good! You made me wanna try too. :)

FoodieGymmie said...

yep... u can try.. but rmb to add only a little bit of salt only... mine is really too saltish... haha

Elijah Lynn said...

I just made Almond Macadamia Nut Butter in my vita-mix blender! I searched almond macadamia butter in google and this was result #1!

The almonds and macadamias are essential to making homeade nut butters because of there high oil content. Walnuts are superior in nutrition to macadamias but I have a ton of Macadamias I need to use!

I love this stuff! I made Almond Walnut butter twice before today and Macadamia Almond 3 times. Today was by far the best!

2 cups frozen almonds heaping half cup of frozen macadamias and I got a ultra nice texture in todays batch!

This is better than anything you could ever buy in the store!

FoodieGymmie said...

Elijah Lynn - Yes! the freshly grinded ones are so nice! But is there a reason as to why the nuts you used for blending must be frozen first?

Elijah Lynn said...

Yeah! I keep all my nuts in the freezer to 1) Prevent them from going rancid (preserve the fatty acids) 2) To keep me from eating too many (they don't taste as good frozen) and 3) Because nut butters heat up quite a bit in my vitamix. When I make them with frozen nuts it does not get too warm. If I use room temperature nuts then it gets very hot by the time I am done.

Warmly,

Elijah Lynn

FoodieGymmie said...

Elijah Lynn - How come i never thought of that! my nut butter actually gets quite hot after grinding them.

thanks Elijah!

Elijah Lynn said...

Well, now you know! Glad I could help!

Cheers,

Elijah